I love Quora, I suppose it is one of the better social networks out there and I have got lot of knowledge from it. So, I am pretty active there. Recently, someone asked me to answer a question – ‘What is an Indian’s life like, after they get a job in the US after an MS in the US?‘
I was amused. This is what I answered-
This is what its like after getting a cushy job in USA-
- Rent a decent apartment, buy new clothes, laptop, SLR and all gadgets you want to show off with.
- Get a car if you are not in NYC.
- Get up early for work, talk to your Mom while commuting in a public transport.
- Have lunch at your desk or sometimes in cafeteria, finish by 6-7pm earliest.
- Come home, cook with your roommates/spouse or go out for a cheap dinner if you are not cooking type.
- Watch some sitcom or surf/facebook.
- Call India and talk to your family.
- Sleep by 11pm.
- Drive to a nearby beach/mountain/park or any picturesque place. Take lot of pictures, share on facebook.
- Do hour long skype calls with your family.
- Go out for dinner at fancy places esp with non-Indian cuisines and click lot of pictures (closeup of food items), share on facebook.
- Once in a while, go to factory outlets for branded shopping.
- Slowly, start hiking/trekking/swimming/diving/jumping/flying/cycling or whatever activity you can – its become your new passion. Click lot of pictures, share on facebook.
- Light fancy candles, scented oils, draw rangoli – click lot of pictures, share on facebook. Post about ecofriendly Diwali.
- On weekends when actually you can celebrate it, go to a community gathering, put gulal on your cheeks, click lot of pictures, share on facebook.
Same for other festivals like navratri. Gather with friends, click lot of pictures, share on facebook.
For US festivals/holidays-
- Dress up awkwardly on halloween, go to parades, click lot of pictures, share on facebook.
- For fourth of July, go to nearby places for the cracker show, take a lot of blurry pictures and share on facebook.
- On New Year’s, stand for hours in line in freezing cold in NYC or something similar, and end up exhausted by midnight.
Move from cricket to baseball, soccer to football and spend couple of years learning the rules of the game (or don’t even bother). Call your friends when a popular match is about to telecasted (Rose Bowl etc), decorate potato chips, nachos, guacamole and fancy dips on your table with 2L coke, sprite bottles. Cheer loudly when commentators seem excited. Post furiously on facebook how the winning team was frickin’ awesome. When some Indian friend asks about it in the comments, refer them to a link and tell how awesome the game was.
The bottomline is do anything on the weekend that lets you click lot of pictures, and yes, you got it – share on facebook!
I think I even offended some people. To that I just say – don’t be offended, I was there, I did it too 🙂
See the post on Quora here.